kristenrenn

James Ellroy, Otto Penzler
Gravity's Rainbow
Thomas Pynchon

The Vicious Circle

The Vicious Circle: Mystery and Crime Stories by Members of the Algonquin Round Table - Otto Penzler I recently read Bobbed Hair and Bathtub Gin. While browsing the stacks at the library I was pleased to find this collection of short stories featuring some of the authors mentioned in that book.

I would love to find a short story collection where I liked everything that was included...probably will never happen. This is actually a 3.5 star book, but I couldn't bring myself to bump it up to 4. As usual there were stories I just didn't like, though the following were my favorites in this anthology:

Farewell, My Lovely Appetizer by S.J Perelman was funny spoof of a hard boiled detective story.

Big Blonde by Dorothy Parker - the longest story in this collection, a very sad and bitter account of one woman's life in the 20s.

The Man Who Came Back by Edna Ferber - I definitely want to read more by her.

Rien Ne Va Plus by Alexander Woollcott - very short, but very good story set in a casino.

I had never read anything by any of these authors, and now I will be adding much more to my to-read pile.