kristenrenn

James Ellroy, Otto Penzler
Gravity's Rainbow
Thomas Pynchon

100 Simple Things You Can Do to Prevent Alzheimer's and Age-Related Memory Loss

100 Simple Things You Can Do to Prevent Alzheimer's and Age-Related Memory Loss - Jean Carper The prospect of suffering from Alzheimer's terrifies me. It was heartbreaking to watch my grandfather deteriorate before his death. I am determined to do everything in my power to decrease the odds that my children will have to watch the same thing happen to me.

It can be overwhelming sorting through the studies and pop news articles trying to figure out what has been shown to promote brain health and stave off the onset of Alzheimer's symptoms. I was very excited to win this book in a giveaway here on Goodreads. Wow...100 things I can do, all in one place!

Saying there are 100 discrete activities in this book is slightly misleading. Many of the things are so entwined that some of the short sections often felt like reworded repetitions. That's not altogether a bad thing since the things that were repeated were often important for several different reasons or there were several different things that give the same benefit.

There's quite a bit here that I already knew, a lot that relates to general health, some new theories about the causes/triggers of onset, and I learned more about the pathology of the disease. The author has not put all of her sources in the book itself, but points the reader to her website for her sources, ways to get additional information, and how to stay on top of new research.